Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ramble: Reading or Writing

If I disappear from the book blogging world, you can bet it's because I'm writing. Currently, I'm finishing a novel I wrote last November during the NaNoWriMo. It was my second attempt and the farthest I've gotten. The novel stands at 81K, with about 15-20K more to go. My first attempt is hovering at 56K and once I figure out the a crucial bit, I intend to finish.

Of course, the million dollar question is: Are you going to publish it?

And I answer myself: maybe. I don't know.

Truthfully, because I read so much, I have a solid idea of what good writing is verse mediocre writing. And my writing is mediocre. It might get published, a few hundred or so copies, sit on the shelf at B&N for 6 months and then end up in the $1 bargain bin. I'd rather wait until I'm certain my writing is good. Something I can proudly point at instead of something I'm ashamed to acknowledge as mine.

To turn my writing from mediocre to good, I am doing what all experts say you should do: I write. Everyday. Even it's dreadful (and it frequently is). Even if I'm tired. I write. I read books by writers better then myself, to pull myself up to their level. I study the craft. I dream. I think. I research. But I write, mostly, I just write.

Be prepared, I warn you. Once I get a novel worthy in my eyes, I shall require Beta readers. Any volunteers?

1 comment: