Thursday, July 30, 2015

Review: The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (The Brothers Sinister, Book I)

Synopsis: Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly—so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don’t get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention. But that is precisely what she gets. Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he’s up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he’s determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match… (from the online description)

Review: I've read only Courtney Milan books and didn't enjoy them. But when this popped up for free on my kindle, I decided to give her one more try. I'm glad I did. I greatly enjoyed this book. Yes, the heroine's secret is a bit far-fetched, but the characters overall are well-done. In particular, Milan's secondary characters add much to the story (which makes sense as her secondary characters become mains in other books). I found the Duke's idea of reform a bit naive, but I'm not sure if that is the writer's fault or actually, part of his character. As for the heroine, I thought her flaw was well-done and realistic, and added depth to her, as did her way of thinking in tactics. My only qualm was that they fell in love awfully quick - over the span of a few weeks. But this is typical of most romance novels, and not something that shall be held against Milan.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 978-1937248284
Date Finished: 7-24-2015
Pages: 265

No comments:

Post a Comment