Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Review: Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (The Broken Empire, Book One)

Synopsis: When he was nine, he watched as his mother and brother were killed before him By the time he was thirteen, he was the leader of a band of bloodthirsty thugs. By fifteen, he intends to be kind.
It is time for Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath to return to the castle he turned his back on, t take what’s rightfully his. Since the day he hung pinned on the thorns of a briar patch and watched Count Renar’s men slaughter his Mother and younger brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage. Life and Death are no more than a game to him – and he has nothing left to lose.
But treachery awaits him in his Father’s castle. Treachery and Dark Magic. No matter how fierce his will, can one young man conquer enemies with power beyond his imagining? (from the back of the book)

Review: Recommend to me by several people when I asked about Grimdark books, I found Lawrence's novel compelling, bloody, and dark, indeed. Our narrator, Jorg, is unreliable, his mind and body twisted by dark deeds forced upon his hidden dark soul. I greatly appreciated his cunning, clever, ruthless mind, and his dedication to his goals.
It took me several chapters to realize the world is a post-apocalyptic earth, somewhere in Europe. Scant remnants of the world before the Day of a Thousand Suns remain but have direct impact on the life of the characters. But there is also magic, dark and deadly. I’m intrigue to know how magic factors in the nature of the world, whether it is truly Magic or some form of Science called magic.
Even with compelling characters, it took me a few chapters to get into the story. Perhaps it was my mood or frame of mind when I picked up the book, but I almost put it down after the first chapter. I’m glad I didn’t. The plot picks up quickly and soon became addicting
I would recommend this for anyone who enjoys anti-heroes, heroes with no morals, all good deeds being punished, ruthless actions perpetrated by even more ruthless men, and world-building extraordinaire. I’m eager to read the remaining two books. 

Bookmarks: 4 of 5

Awards: Finalist in the Goodreads Choice Award for "Best Fantasy 2011", a David Gemmell Morningstar Award Finalist in 2012, Short Listed for the Prix Imaginales (Roman étranger) in 2013, Barnes & Noble's "Best Fantasy Releases of 2011

ISBN: 978-1-937007-68-3
Year Published: 2011
Date Finished: 2-17-2018
Pages: 319


No comments:

Post a Comment