Sunday, April 15, 2018

Review: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (The Wheel of Time, Book One)

Synopsis: The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. When The Two Rivers is attacked by Trollocs―a savage tribe of half-men, half-beasts― five villagers flee that night into a world they barely imagined, with new dangers waiting in the shadows and in the light. (from the online description)

Review: I dated this boy who loved The Wheel of Time and in an effort to impress him, I read the first and second book of the series. I hated them. Turns out, I don’t particularly enjoy High Fantasy.
Fast forward over a decade, and I’m married to that boy and I’m reading it again, this time because it continues to be important to my husband and I want to share in the story that means so much to him
Perhaps it is age or perhaps it is because “reading” it via the audio book, but I find I know enjoy the story immensely. Intricate, with one of the most complex and complete worlds I’ve ever entered. The level of detail is astounding. This gives the story of richness unlike anything I’ve read. One might be worried the characters or plot would get buried the excessive details – and yet, they don’t. In  fact, the details give the characters depth and the plot a realness that makes it hard to put the book down.
I don’t need to laud this series, to be sure. The amount of fanfiction and still-active fan forums attest to the longevity of this story.

Note: I "read" this by listening to the audiobook. 

Bookmarks: 4 of 5

Awards: None

ISBN: 0-812-51181-6
Year Published: 1990
Date Finished: 3-29-2018
Pages: 702

No comments:

Post a Comment