Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Rambles: Reading Review of 2018

My original goal was 120. Sometime around June, I got ambitious and bumped it up 200, with it being divided into 120 books and 80 graphic novels/manga. 

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I didn't make the overall goal of 200. I managed 162 total, with 93 books and 69 graphic novels/manga. 

As for my mini challenges, I managed to complete about two-thirds. 

Christian Books: FAIL

Goal: 10+
Read: 6

These are the hardest to read for me, as they require reflection and thought, more than any other book.

Non-Fiction: COMPLETE

Goals: 10+  (One Evolution, One Non-Western or Translate, One Biography)
Read: 11

I read a Dawkins for Evolution, a Memoir by a Pakistani Woman, and a Biography of Sojourner Truth. As for the rest, it ranged from books on Japanese Culture to Keto Cookbooks.

Science Fiction / Fantasy: PARTIAL 

Goals: 20+ (Two Bujolds, 3 Grimdark, 5 Vintage, 1 Anthology, 1 Trilogy)
Read: 34

I managed all the small goals except the Trilogy. I only read the first two of Lewis's Space Trilogy. Although, for the Grimdark, I read Lawrence's Broken Empire Trilogy, so that could count.

Graphic Novel / Manga: PARTIAL

Goal: 20+ (Vampire Knight or Fruit Basket Series, Sage/Monstress/Magdalena, Own Not Library)
Read: 69

I read WAY more then I planned, but I didn't read the either Manga series, and all but Saga, Volume 1, came from the library (or were new purchases)

Classic / General Fiction: FAIL

Goal: 10+ (1 Persephone, 1 African-American Lit, 3 Non-Western/Translated)
Read: 9

I didn't read a Persephone or a African-American Lit, but I did read two translated or Non-Western works - more if you included Children's novels, which I didn't.

Young Adult / Children's: PARTIAL

Goal: 10+ (Last Two Ember Trilogy, 5 Newbery, 1 Pre-1950 Classic)
Read: 32

I didn't read the Pre-1950s book, or the Ember Trilogy, but I read 7 Newbery books, and 13 YA novels, many new authors to me.


All told, I'm mostly satisfied with my accomplishments. I wish I'd been more focused but given how rocky this year has been, it's a wonder I got anything read at all!






No comments:

Post a Comment