Sunday, August 31, 2014

Review: A Share of Freedom by June Rae Wood

Synopsis: Some people might think Freedom Avery has it all. She's the top student in her seventh grade class, and she just won the town's Fourth of July spelling bee. but when he mother end up in the hospital after another drinking binge, Freedom and her little brother, Jackie, hardly feel like celebrating. Freedom has no idea who or where her father is. With social services threatening to divide her family even further, Freedom devises a place to run away with her brother so she can keep her family intact. Strong and determined, Freedom survives a week in the wilderness and the trials of foster, only to discover her new home contains clues that may betray the secret of her family's past. (from the back of the book)

Review: I picked this book at a thrift store, on a whim. I read the first page as I was waiting for the husband to find his keys. To was hooked by the second paragraph. To say I couldn't put it down is an understatement. I read as I walked across campus and ended up nearly circling a building I meant to walk past because I was so engrossed.
This is a not a sunshine and flowers book. Freedom Avery deals with real things - holes in her heart, growing up, family relationships that are broken, what it means to love imperfect parents. Wood deftly weaves real complex characters into a complex plot. It's an engrossing, enticing, marvelous read. I'm glad I had the whim to buy it.

Bookmarks: 8 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 0-7868-1085-8
Date Finished: 8-25-2014
Pages: 255

No comments:

Post a Comment