Friday, September 23, 2011

Review: Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John and Stasi Eldredge

Synopsis: What Wild at Heart did for men, Captivating is doing for women. Setting their hearts free. This groundbreaking book shows readers the glorious design of women before the fall, describes how the feminine heart can be restored, and casts a vision for the power, freedom, and beauty of a woman released to be all she was meant to be. (From the back of the book)

Review: First, let me say that I don't think this is a terrible book. I think, for some, it might speak truth into their lives and be the exact right message they need to hear. However, I did not like this book. Perhaps because this sort of fluff goes against my personality, perhaps because I was unable to connect with most of what the authors said, perhaps because I tend to be suspicious of works that make anyone believe they are the victim (Yes, you have bad things happen to you. They happen to everyone. It's called Sin - yours and others).

I felt there was WAY too much use of movie and book metaphors and a sparse sprinkling of Bible - and what Bible was used was often out of context or 2-3 words instead of the whole verse.

In the end, I was not impressed or impacted by this book - not as I thought I would be. To use a Pauline metaphor - too much milk, not enough meat. I would still recommend it for women seeking healing, but perhaps more for women who aren't yet sure of Christ, who need to be drawn in more. But for most Christian women, I would say stick with the solid Christian authors, or better yet, the Bible.

Bookmarks: 5 of 10

Awards: None

Date Finished: 9-16-2011
Pages: 256

No comments:

Post a Comment