Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: Entwined by Heather Dixon

Synopsis: Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it. The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation. Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest. But there is a cost. The Keeper likes to keep things. Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late. (from the back of the book)
 
Review: This was the third of the three books that retell Grimm's The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Of the three, it was my least favorite. The twelve princess are named for flowers, in alphabetic order. The oldest, Azalea, tries to protect her sisters, but leads them to the hands of the Keeper, who an evil sorcerer trapped by ancient magic. Azalea's relationship with her father is explored and the resolution, her growth and her Father's is interesting. The second sister, Bramble, was my favorite. Brash, bold, outspoken - she made me laugh.
What ruined this book for me was the endless dance metaphors. Everything was compared to dancing - eating, drinking, walking, dressing, riding, bowing, opening doors, picking up trash - whatever, it didn't matter. Within the first few pages, I was done with the dance metaphors. As the rest of the book was so wonderful, I was annoyed to have that one oversight hamper my enjoyment of this otherwise good work. I would mention it, but I would recommend the George and Marillier books first.

Bookmarks:
6 of 10

Awards:
None

Date Finished: 1-5-2012

Pages: 472

No comments:

Post a Comment