Sunday, April 8, 2012

Review: Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint by Jay Williams and Raymond Abrashkin

Synopsis: When Danny Dunn tips over the mysterious jar of glistening liquid, he has no way of knowing that he will involved himself, his friend Joe and Professor Bullfinch in a wild flight between planets. But anything can happen when Danny is around - and practically does!

Review: Published in 1956, this reminds me of the dreadful science-fiction television shows from the same time. The story is improbably, the characters are flat and stereotypical, the humor is lame - but the retro feel and the hard science (aside from the anti-gravity paint) is sound and delightful and I'm glad I purchased this for my "Geek Books for Children" collection!

You will remember I read another of these stories a few weeks ago. This one is the first. The one I read then is the third, and introduces the Irene Miller - an smart-mouthed, intelligent girl - which is probably why I like that one better.

Bookmarks: 6.5 of 10

Awards: None

Date Finished: 4-3-2012
Pages: 154

No comments:

Post a Comment