Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Review: The Drowning City by Amanda Downum (The Necromancer Chronicles, Book I)

Synopsis: Symir - the Drowning City. home to exiles and expatriates, pirates and smugglers. And violent revolutionaries who will stop at nothing to overthrow the corrupt Imperial government. For Isyllt Iskaldur, necromancer and spy, the brewing revolution is a chance to prove herself to her crown. All she has to do is find and finance the revolutionaries, and help topple the palaces of Symir. But she is torn between her new friends and her duties, and the longer she stays in this monsoon-drenched city, the more intrigue she uncovers -- even the dead are plotting. As the waters rise and the dams crack, Isyllt must choose between her mission and the city she came to save. (From the back of the book)

Review: I picked this up on a whim at Barnes and Noble. It then sat on my shelf for ages. I'm glad. Because when I finally read it, two more were published and I was able to gobble them all up! I enjoyed the character if Isyllt: unsure, but confident; prone to rash choices with her heart but wise choices for her job, broken but strong, and complex. The world building was fantastic. Symir reminded me of a jungly Venice. I could almost smell the water, the trees, the heat and death. The magic, the politics, the scoop - it was imaginative, intriguing, finely crafted and layered. Told from the viewpoint of three women, the story moves at a good pace, sucking one in and not letting go. I highly recommend!

Bookmarks: 8 of 10

Awards: Shortlisted for the 2009 David Gemmell Morningstar Award

Date Finished: 4-7-2013
Pages: 361

No comments:

Post a Comment