Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Review: Mecha Corps by Brett Patton (The Armor Wars, Book I)

Synopsis: Matt Lowell is in hell-and there's no place he'd rather be. At a training camp on the backwater planet of Earth, he and his fellow cadets are learning to ride Mechas: biomechanicals sporting both incredible grace and devastating firepower. Their ultimate aim is to combat the pirates of the Corsair Confederacy, but before they survive a battle, they have to survive their training. ecause every time Lowell and his comrades "plug in" to their Mechas, their minds are slowly being twisted and broken by an unseen power that is neither man...nor machine. (from the back of the book)

Review: I'm not sure why I picked up this book in Barnes and Noble. Probably because I've been playing too much Battletech. Anyhoo, the first bit is a little boring, and I probably would have stopped reading if it first portion didn't take place in Florida, Cape Canaveral, where I grew up. But as I keep reading, the story got better - so much so that I was eager to finish the book, to see what happened. The world building was clever and enjoyable, a little heavy on the revenge angst, but overall - a fine novel. I very much enjoyed the Mecha, thhe idea and design behind these machines. Being a Demonrider sounds awesome! In the end, I liked it enough I purchased the second and would recommend to anyone looking for a fun sci-fi read.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

Date Finished: 4-15-2013
Pages: 324

No comments:

Post a Comment