Sunday, December 15, 2013

Review: Colonial Williamsburg Decorates for Christmas: Step-by-Step Illustrated Instructions for Christmas Decorations that You Can Make for Your Home by Libbey Hodges Oliver

Synopsis: Step-by-step illustrated instructions fro a variety of popular Williamburg Christmas wreaths, centerpieces, accents, and other decorations that you can make from fresh fruits, greens, and natural materials are featured in this Colonial Williamsburg publication. A special section focuses on decorations created from herbs and dried materials. (from the back of the book)

Review: This was part of an estate lot and not something I would purchase on my own. Mostly, I admit, because most of these instructions are probably available on the internet now, but in 1981, when the book was published, there was no internet. First, the instructions are mostly clear and easy to follow. Some of them might see a bit muddling, but I think if you had the pieces in hand, it would make more sense. Second, the illustrations are helpful and simple, making them easy to understand.
My only qualm about the book was the recommend ingredients for the wreaths. While boxwood and pine are easy to fine (I have 3 boxwood bushes in my yard!), some of the ingredients seem expensive, particular the dried herbs. Also, chili peppers and lotus don't seem authentically colonial to me. Neither grow well in Virginia, particular water-growing lotus, where water freezes. However, with a little imagination and some scrounging in your yard, I think you could find pleasing substitutes and indeed, the book encourages that - the substation, not the scrounging. In the end, I'm glad I kept and read this book. I might even try my hand a boxwood wreath made from my own plants!

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 0-87935-056-3
Date Finished: 12-14-2013
Pages: 80

No comments:

Post a Comment