Thursday, September 11, 2014

Review: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien


Synopsis: Mrs. Frisby, a widowed mouse with four small children, is faced with a terrible problem. She must move her family to their summer quarters immediately, or face almost certain death. But her youngest son, Timothy, lies ill with pneumonia and must not be moved. Fortunately, she encounters the rats of NIMH, an extraordinary breed of highly intelligent creatures, who come up with a brilliant solution to her dilemma. And Mrs. Frisby in turn renders them a great service. (from the back of the book)

Review: This book. What to say? As a child, I watched the movie - part of it, anyway - at a slumber part. It scared the *$&% out of me. I refused to have anything to do with it again. But then, I grew up and started my quest to read all the Newbery books and realized - I was going to have to read this one. So I did. This book is NOTHING like the movie. And I'm glad. This book is superb. Each character is so distinct, the story riveting. I almost cried when - well, I won't spoil it for you. But this story is one that will stick with me for a long while. I highly recommend.

Bookmarks: 8 of 10

Awards: Newbery Medal (1972)  / William Allen White Children's Book Award (1974) / Lewis Carroll Shelf Award (1972)

ISBN: 0-689-71068-2
Date Finished: 9-2-2014
Pages: 233




No comments:

Post a Comment