Monday, February 15, 2016

Review: Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

Synopsis: If you don't know what this is about, google it or, you know, move out of the rock you've been under.

Review: I finally read the entire thing - well, I listened to it via audiobook. This was my third attempt, although the other two were over a decade ago. I never could finish the trilogy. Inevitably, I'd get lost somewhere in the third book (having skimmed most of the second) and quit. Well, due to it being audio, I managed to finished the entire thing. My favorite part was the Ride of the Rohirrim, followed closely the arrival of Aragorn at the Fields of Pelennor, with his banner unfurled! These parts, to me, made the heart beat faster  - high in emotion and thrills. Other than that, the story was good - with the right amount of introspection and adventure. I found the lack of female characters disappointing, but the female characters that are in the story are strong - particularly Eowyn - who is my favorite. There seemed an excessive amount of singing, but in a society and culture were most stories are told via song, that makes sense.
While I recognize and honor the historical and literary value of Tolkien's work, and understand that Tolkien's work is monumental in the realm of fantasy literature, I don't think Tolkien will ever be a favorite. It's just not for me.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: N/A
Year Published: 1955
Date Finished: 2-11-2016
Pages: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment