Thursday, May 5, 2016

Review: Crowded Skies: Letters to Manhattan by Tara Leigh Cobble

Synopsis: We all struggle and scrape and pray, trying to find the piece of life with our name on it. I’ve been frustrated by my mistakes, my lack of clarity, and my unwillingness to do the right thing even when I finally do figure it out. In one episode of Seinfeld, George Costanza decided to do the opposite of everything he was naturally inclined to do, in hopes that life would turn out better for him. Sometimes that seems like the right answer for me, too, because I’ve found that I usually want the things that aren’t the best for me. That’s why it came as such a surprise to find a place where my desires and God’s desires seemed to overlap. Against all odds, that place was New York City. And I have found Him here, amidst the skyscrapers and street vendors. Figuring out God’s plan for my life has been beautiful and terrifying, but I’m so glad to be on the journey with Him. He has displayed a power enormous enough to heal my deepest wounds, yet intimate enough for the smallest moments—like the time He painted my wall. I hope my stories will remind you of all the ways He has shown up in yours. (from the back of the book)

Review: After reading Tara Leigh Cobble's Here's To Hindsight, I had to read this one. It's the second in her unofficial memoir trilogy. In this installment, Cobble speaks about her increasing loneliness in Nashville, her move to New York, the stall in her ability to write music, and her adventures in New York City, with its people, energy, and culture. But mostly, she writes about the journey God took her on during this part of her life. Learning to trust, seeing God's goodness, mercy, instruction, and correction. Cobble chatty prose and relatable thoughts make this engaging and helpful. Reading her struggles helped me identify similar ones in my own life  - and seeing how God worked in her life gave me hope that I will see the same in my life.
My only disappointment was how often she dwelled on her romantic relationships. But it wasn't enough to detract from the book overall. I recommend this book to anyone, but in particular young Christians who may be struggling to find there place in the Kingdom.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 978-1-60530-739-8
Year Published: 2008
Date Finished: 4-21-2016
Pages: 206

No comments:

Post a Comment