Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Ramble: To Be Read....

I read more than one book at a time. And I tend to read in what I think of as "Tracks" or "Paths".
It's a weird booky thing, but it has a logic to it. The subject to one book leads me to another, and that one leads me to the next. The books connect, creating path.

For example, currently, I have Four Paths:

Path One: Horror / GrimDark
    
Current Read: IT by Stephen King
 Next Up: No idea, as the King is taking me months to read. But probably 100 Wicked Little Witch Stories edited by Martin H. Greenberg, or maybe another King. I’m open to recommendations, but it has to be something I own.

Path Two: Science Fiction / Fantasy Series.
This Path is directly linked to my reading goals for 2017. I have stacks of sci-fi and fantasy books, and many series I’ve diligently collected to completion. Time to get reading. This also includes piles of Manga and Graphic Novels I’ve amassed.

Current Read: The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (The sequel to The Mote In God's Eye)
Next Up: Thomas Harlan’s In the Time of the Sixth Sun Trilogy. I’m eager to read this. The premise is Japan reaches the Aztecs before the Spanish, setting in motion the eventual world domination by the Aztecs, and now – humans are in space, a young species vying for a place in the stars against the ancient aliens cultures. After that, most likely The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness

Path Three: Non-Fiction / Historical Fiction.
Currently, this is focuses on Japanese Literature, but will move into Japan during World War II, then on to Women during World War II. This is the most defined path and I’m approaching a dozen or more books laid out already.

Current Read: Silence by Shusake Endo.
Next Up: Either The Buddha in the Attic or When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka, Followed by Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston, then The Fire by Night by Teresa Messineo, two non-fictions, And If I Perish: Frontline U.S. Army Nurses in World War II by Evelyn Monahan and We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by by Elizabeth M. Norman, then maybe Women Who Wrote the War by Nancy Caldwell Sorel. After that, maybe The Bridge Over the River Kwai by Pierre Boulle or The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer or Home Front and Beyond: American Women in the 1940s by Susan M. Hartmann or Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Oh, and Maus and Maus II by Art Spiegelman.

Path Four: Christian.
This is an always path, meaning I’m always reading a Christian non-fiction. This comes out of a reading ideology I created for myself years ago, called The Rule of Three. Meaning that for every Fiction I read, I had to read one Non-Fiction and one Christian.

Current Read: The Gospel in George MacDonald: Selections from His Novels, Fairy Tales, and Spiritual Writings edited by Marianne Wright
Next Up: Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey, then How Should We Then Live?: The Rise and Decline of Western Thought and Culture by Francis A. Schaeffer. After that, I’m not sure. I’ll probably just dig through my piles of Christian books and see what strikes by fancy.


Paths are how I pick my TBR piles. What about you? How do you pick your TBR?

No comments:

Post a Comment