Saturday, November 23, 2013

Review: Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh

Synopsis: Written by the author of the blog with the same name, this book includes some fan favorites from the blog as well as new chapters.

Review: How to describe this book? First, hilarious. I had to put it down several times because laughter caused my eyes to blur with tears and render me unable to breathe. Second, truthful. We all have do and say these weird, embarrassing things, but Brosh, by being truthful about her own crazy, reminds us we aren't alone with our weird embarrassing things. Third, comforting. In particular, her portions on Depression and Identity hit home for me, as I struggle with both. Her words gave me a way of explaining it to others that made sense, without the dark doom'n'gloom that my previous attempts invoked.
In the end, I would recommend this book to most people, but each for different reasons. Some, for the humor, some for the connection and some to let them know they are not alone in their struggles.

Bookmarks: 8 of 10

Awards: None (Yet)

ISBN: 978-1-4516-6617-5
Date Finished: 11-20-2013
Pages: 369

No comments:

Post a Comment