Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Review: Anastasia's Chosen Career by Lois Lowry

Synopsis: Anastasia Krupnik has exactly one week to work on her school assignment called "My Chosen Career". Determined to be a bookstore owner, she must first develop poise and self-confidence. So Anastasia takes the plunge and spends her life savings on a modeling course at Studio Charmante. She has one week to interview a bookstore owner, write a report, and complete the modeling course. Luckily her new friend Henry is with her most of the way. Is Anastasia destined to be a successful bookstore owner or a glamorous model? Only Anastasia has the answers! (from the back of the book)

Review: I adore Anastasia - hilarious, real, and intelligent. Her adventures feel real - what girl didn't feel gawky and ugly in 7th grade. How many of us had confusion about our future or want to feel beautiful and glamorous. I love her solutions, her spunky, her forthrightness, and her viewpoints. As for the story, it was both hilarious and poignant. It got a more serious at the end then I anticipated - but something I've come to expect for Lowry. Her stories mirror life and often life is both humorous and serious in odd mixtures. I recommend all of the Anastasia books - I know I will read any I can get my hands on!

Bookmarks: 8 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 009-012-0-440-80199-0
Date Finished: 8-18-2015
Pages: 142

No comments:

Post a Comment