Thursday, October 3, 2013

Review: Marie Curie by Edwina Conner (Great Lives Series)

Synopsis: Marie Curie was a brilliant, inspiring scientist. As a result of her discovery of radium, a treatment for cancer was developed. She worked hard and with great determination throughout her life, finally dying tragically from the effects of the dangerous substances with which she experimented. (from the back of the book)

Review: Basic and general, this is a solid biography of Marie Curie. Told for a third or fourth grade comprehension level, this is a book that teachers might use during school. It contains excellent pictures that enhance the prose and demonstrate further aspect of Dr. Curie's character and life. My only qualm is I feel it dumbs down her life. While I understand it's for children, my first introduction to Marie Curie was the definitive biography on her, written by her daughter. I read this when I was 10. It's a good introduction, but I would caution against limiting kids to only the simple outline of this remarkable woman's life.

Bookmarks: 6 of 10

Awards: None

Date Finished: 9-29-2013
Pages: 31

No comments:

Post a Comment