Monday, January 6, 2014

Review: Virginias at Home: Family Life in the Eighteenth Century by Edmind S. Morgan

Synopsis: A brief academic book on family life in 18th century Virginia, starting with early childhood and progressing through marriage and older life. Topics include social intracaies, gathering, economics and the like.

Review: This is a slender volume, book 2 in a series published by Colonial Williamsburg entitled "Williamsburg in America". This volume details home life in Virginia during the 18th century. The author clearly knows this topic. His prose was clear and easy to absorb, but not simplistic or patronizing. Many times I wished he would go deeper into a subject, only to remind myself this book was intended as an overview. I was able to download on my kindle several of Morgan's sources. I recommend this book as an excellent starting point for this topic. I think it would particularly serve young adults as a good source.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: N/A
Published: 1952
Date Finished: 12-24-2013
Pages: 99

No comments:

Post a Comment