Sunday, January 12, 2014

Review: Word Worth by Ward S. Miller

Synopsis: This is a vocabulary textbook. Each chapter has a list of words with definiation and usage, and then ends with practice tests and helpful hints.

Review: I picked up this book at the local thrift store's book sale - a bag for $1. I like words. So, naturally, this book intrigued me. I didn't realize until I was a few pages in that it was a textbook. I liked it. First, to read a textbook from over 50 years ago has a certain appeal to me. Compared to our modern English textbooks, it's bare and straight forward and plain. And impressive. It's sad kids today wouldn't learn these words like this. Second, while I knew most of these words, some of the meanings have changed in the last 50 years. This amused me. Third, there were four or five words I'd never heard of. I eagerly learned these! I recommend this book to anyone looking to home-school children, Language teachers looking for ideas and word-lovers like me.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: N/A
Published: 1958
Date Finished: 1-8-2014
Pages: 438

No comments:

Post a Comment