Sunday, March 9, 2014

Review: Millie Cooper Series by Charlotte Herman

Synopsis: This series is comprised of three books, set in 1946-1947 Chicago. The first, Millie Cooper, 3B, introduces us to Millie Cooper, a shy, intelligent third-grader. Facing the task of writing an essay titled, "Why I am Special", she thinks a new Reynolds Rocket pen will help her write the essay - because she doesn't know why she is special. It take a few trials for her to learn how special she really is. In the next, Millie Cooper, Take a Chance, Millie must face her fears if she's going to get what she wants. In the last, Millie Cooper and Friends, a new girl changes Millie's friendship with her best friend - and Millie learns about life and friendships and growing up.

Review: I read Millie Cooper, Take a Chance in elementary school and it stuck with me for the rest of my life. Being a shy girl myself, with the exact same anxieties and fears as Millie, it was the first time I realized I wasn't the only one who had these fears. I cannot articulate what relief it brought me or how it helped heal old wounds. But, while I remembered the story, I'd forgotten the title and despite 10+ years of trying to find it, was unable. But thanks to some remarkable people in LibraryThing's Name That Book, I was able to find the book again - and buy it and other 2 I didn't know existed. Reading them again had the same impact on me as when I was a child. To remember, I am not the only one who thinks and feels this way - it is to be a little less anxious, I think. And even as an adult, I must remember to Take a Chance on things....
Some may find these books trite and old-fashioned, but to me, these books impacted me like few others have, something time has not diminished.

Bookmarks: 10 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 0-14-032072-5 / 0-14-034119-6 / 0-670-86043-3
Date Finished: 3-8-2014
Pages: 73 / 101 / 85

No comments:

Post a Comment