Monday, September 7, 2015

Review: The Intellectual Devotional by David S. Kidder and Noah D. Oppenheim

Synopsis: This daily digest of intellectual challenge and learning will arouse curiosity, refresh knowledge, expand horizons, and keep the mind sharp. Millions of Americans keep bedside books of prayer and meditative reflection--collections of daily passages to stimulate spiritual thought and advancement. The Intellectual Devotional is a secular version of the same--a collection of 365 short lessons that will inspire and invigorate the reader every day of the year. Each daily digest of wisdom is drawn from one of seven fields of knowledge: history, literature, philosophy, mathematics and science, religion, fine arts, and music. (from the online descriptions)

Review: This was a fabulous book! I kept it in my purse as my "line book" - the book I read while waiting for things. I enjoyed the subjects chosen - opera, science, philosophy, history, paintings. For anyone how enjoys knowledge, fact, or Jeopardy - this is the book for you. It's perfect for a short reads, for livening the mind, or for learning fun facts to dazzle (or bore) your friends. The only thing I'd changed is more modern music history - jazz or big band, or even rock and roll! I ended up buy the the American History edition to read now that I'm finished with this one. I anticipate it being just as good!

Bookmarks: 8 of 10

Award: None

ISBN: 978-1-60961-205-4
Date Finished: 8-31-2015
Pages: 377

No comments:

Post a Comment