Sunday, March 13, 2016

Ramble: Currently Reading

I'm normally reading at least three books at a time. I blame my mother for this one. As a child, I would often get caught up in a book at the expense of my chores, and my punishment was always to have the book taken away for a week. So I would start a second (or a third, or fourth, as the case might be) while waiting for the first (or second, or third) to be returned. So being in the multiple books at a time is standard. 

But over the last week, my currently reading pile is out of control!

See?

Eight. EIGHT! 

Let's break this down. 

The Slow Readers: These are books that I am intentionally reading at a slow pace. 

The Intellectual Devotional: Health by David S. Kidder and Noah D. Oppenheim: This is my "purse book" - meaning, it's the one I keep in my purse for quick reading in grocery store lines and dead-stop traffic. 

Tozer on the Almighty God compiled by Ron Eggert: This is a daily devotional take from the extensive works of A.W. Tozer. I started it in October, and being that is it 366 daily reads, it's going to take me a year. Obviously. 

The Divine Hours: Prayers for Springtime by Phyllis Tickle: This is an expanded Book of Common Prayer, part of a three book set, spanning the year. This one will be complete at the end of Spring, and I will move to the Summer one. 

The Early Reviewers: I'm part of LibraryThing's Early Review program and I get free books in exchange for my opinion. Which, let's be honest, I'm going to give anyway. 

Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo: DiCamillo write books often set in Florida - The Tale of Winn Dixie and The Tiger Rising, both of which I enjoyed. And being that I grew up in Florida, any story set in my beloved homeland is sure to get my attention. Plus, DiCamillo is excellent as saying a lot with a few words, and bringing out depth in her characters. 

Harry Potter and the Classical World: Greek and Roman Allusions in J.K Rowling’s Modern Epic by Richard A. Spencer: The title says it all. A bit more academic than I assumed, it's taking me time to read it, but I'm enjoying it. 

For Fun:

The Book Club Cookbook by Judy Gelman and Vicki Levy Krupp: This is precisely what it seems. Books read by book clubs across the nation, and dishes that match the books. 

The Call to Arms: Book One of The Damned by Alan Dean Foster: First book in a trilogy. Space Opera with aliens and telepathy and crazy technologies and dire circumstances and daring exploits. Just my sort of fiction. 

Hearing God by Dallas Willard:  A Renowned theologian, Willard gives excellent expositions about God and our relationship with him. This one is one prayer and has proven, so far, to be excellent. (Not picture is the audiobook I'm listening too, also by Willard called the Divine Conspiracy). 

So many books, so little time!



No comments:

Post a Comment