Monday, March 7, 2016

Review: Anastasia on Her Own by Lois Lowry

Synopsis: Help! Anastasia Krupnik's mother must organize her chaotic life. So Anastasia, who is a very organized person, and her father invent the solution to Mrs. Krupnick's problem: the Krupnik Family Nonsexist Housekeeping Schedule. But when Mrs. Krupnik goes to California on a ten-day business trip, Anastasia finds that the problem isn't solved at all. It's hard to stick to a schedule that doesn't leave room for her little brother, Sam, who's come down with the chicken pox, and her father's former girlfriend, who's invited herself to dinner. How is Anastasia supposed to cope with these interruptions when she’s planning her first dream-date dinner for Steve Harvey? It's a cinch. As long as she sticks to the Krupnick Romantic Dinner Week Schedule, what could possibly go wrong? (from the back of the book)

Review: As always, Lowry's Anastasia's stories are enjoyable. Anastasia deals with the events in a realistic way. Caught between child and adult, mature for her age but still innocent, she has an imaginative and bold way of approaching things. Being the daughter of an English professor, she has an extensive vocabulary, which she uses. As a word-lover myself, this is fun to read. I also enjoyed watching Anastasia learn what it's like to manage a household. Her complaining in the beginning changed to gratitude when she saw how hard her mom worked.
I had an odd moment during this book, too, as I realized, I'm probably the age of Anastasia's parents - and I find I approve of their parenting style. I'm also not sure I would be as supportive of my daughter if she died my best white table cloth purple, but hey - too each their own.
I highly recommend these books. Although written in the mid-80s, other than the lack of cellphones, they don't feel dated or out-of-touch. Perfect for your 10-12 year old girls.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 0-440-40291-3
Year Published: 1985
Date Finished: 3-6-2016
Pages: 131

No comments:

Post a Comment