Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Review: Here's to Hindsigh by Tara Leigh Cobble

Synopsis: Following the journey of independent singer/songwriter Tara Leigh Cobble, Here's to Hindsight is an honest portrayal of her effort to reconcile God's goodness with the uncertainties of the moment. Readers will recognize themselves in her struggles with faith, fundamentalism, relationships and navigating the post-college years. As a result, they will walk through their questions with a greater hope for the future and a renewed faith in the God who writes their story. (from the online description)

Review: Someone introduced me to Cobble’s music just after I graduated college. It was her first CD. Her message came to me at a profound time, saying just the things I needed to her. But as I don’t really keep up with music, I lost tract of her – until I found this book in a thrift shop.
Critics compare her (favorable) to Donald Miller, Lauren Winner, and Anne Lamott – and this could not be more accurate. I have the same reaction to her work as I had to theirs. I find all of them an odd mixture of narcissistic dribble, raw honesty, God-given truths, and too-private-for-comfort stories. Perhaps because the idea of writing such personal things for the world to read fills me with not a little panic and dread, I find it hard to understand why people like Cobble want to. It seems egotistical and vain. And yet, what they are writing about is not. Cobble is honest about her mistakes, her faults, her fears. She’s open about her wants and desires and needs – all of which resonated with me. She expresses her struggles to act as she preaches, to live as she believes and to follow God when it’s hard. These are not the confessions of a conceited person. This book makes me want to have lunch with her, perhaps travel on a road trip. I recommend for anyone, particular if you are in your 20s and searching for the place God is calling you.  And no matter what I say, my actions speak louder – after finishing this book, I purchased (for full price off her website) the next two she wrote. 

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 0-9768175-9-4
Year Published: 2006
Date Finished: 3-27-2016
Pages: 193

No comments:

Post a Comment