Sunday, February 28, 2016

Review: Requiem of Stars by Tracy Hickman (Songs of the Stellar Winds, Book 1)

Synopsis: On silver wings they sail the darkwind between uncounted worlds, the ships of the Pax Galacticus, rules of the galaxy. Their journeys are mostly routine. But when a revel privateer ambushes the Pax frigate Shendridan, First Master Serg Dresiv finds himself in charge of a stricken vessel, a decimated crew, and  complement of rebel prisoners – including their cunning and heartless commander, the beautiful but deadly Thyne Haught-Cargil. As Serg struggles to save the ship and bring the rebels to trial, Thyne plots her escape and the destruction of the Shendridan. Until they all come face-to-face with a massive armada of unknown origin and terrifying power – and Serge and Thyne suddenly find themselves reluctant allies in a desperate battle to save humanity. (from the back of the book)

Review: This was my first Hickman novel. I was not impressed. He builds complex worlds, populated by complex people, but there is something off about his story writing. I just couldn't get into it. The book failed to hook me from the first, and barely kept my attention. I couldn't tell you what about the story or book I didn't like, it just seemed...boring and cliched and overly complex without meaning. I finished it because I did want to see the end. But I guess it was intended to be the first in a series that never got written, as the book ends without completing the story. I know the story will appeal to many people, but it didn't to me.

Bookmarks: 6 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 0-553-57302-0
Year Published: 1996
Date Finished: 2-19-2016
Pages: 376

No comments:

Post a Comment