Thursday, July 28, 2011

Review: The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson

Synopsis: This is a collection of 25 short stories, including the famous prose "The Lottery" written by Shirley Jackson. It is divided into 3 sections, with an introduction by Patrick McGrath.
Jackson is considered to be one of the best American gothic/horror writers and has be cited as inspiration and influence by such renowed writers and Neil Gaiman and Stephen King. In fact, King listed her work "The Haunting of Hill House" as one of the finest exampled of horror literature in the 20th century.

Review: In the spirit of my self-inflicted directive to improve my writing by widening my reading, I picked up this small unassuming tome thinking to read a small selection of fine literary stories. What I got was a collection of stories that coalleased into a creature of words and imagines that haunted my dreams. Not because of gory and violent monsteres - but because the monsteres were human. The remains one of the few books I've read that will "haunt" me until I die. Her writing is simple, evocative and creepy. It's beautiful and terrible at the same time. I highly recommend, but caution you to keep something fluffy and light to read next.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

Date Finished: 07-27-2011
Pages: 292

No comments:

Post a Comment