Friday, December 2, 2011

Review: Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bagigalupi

Synopsis: This is an anthology of eleven stories, part new works, part collection of Bacigalupi's work, including the Hugo nominated "Yellow Card Man" and the Sturgeon Award-winning story "The Calorie Man," both set in the world of his novel The Windup Girl. The works are mostly science fiction / speculative in nature.

Review:
I read this thinking it was steampunk. It was not. It was creepy, disturbing and evocative. The stories got stuck in my brain and resurfaced later. In particular, Pump Six - mostly because it seemed possible. Maybe that was what made this collection so likely to stick in your mind - there is a realism, a not-to-far-from-possible tinge. The highest recommendation I can give is to say I will be reading more of his work, but slowly, otherwise I might fry my brain.

Bookmarks:
8 of 10

Awards:
Individual stories have one awards.

Date Finished: 11-21-11 Pages: 239

No comments:

Post a Comment