Friday, April 10, 2015

Review: Esther: The Star and the Sceptre by Gini Andrews

Synopsis: A fictionalized retelling of the story of Esther, from the Bible.

Review: Since childhood, Esther has been a favorite story in the Bible. I enjoy collecting and reading retellings. This, I believe, was my first, read many years ago. I remembered details of the story, but wasn't able to remember the title. So, I post my query on a group on LibraryThing that helps you find lost books. And the first response was correct! This is my favorite retelling. Perhaps because it follows closely to the biblical story, adding in carefully researched historical points and logical fictionalizations. Also, neither sensationalizes the story with sex and violence (like The Gilded Chamber) nor turn it into a sappy romance (like One Night with The King), Andrews achieves a balance that is pleasing to read. In the end, reading this again, well, it was just as good years later.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 0-310-20180-2
Date Finished: 4-6-2015
Pages: 271

No comments:

Post a Comment