Friday, August 21, 2015

Review: Mad about Madeline: The Complete Tales by Ludwin Bemelmans

Synopsis: For over sixty years, Madeline's adventures have enthralled her ever-growing audience. This collection brings together all six of the Madeline books in one volume. Every well-loved word and picture is here, plus an introduction by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Anna Quindlen, an essay by Ludwig Bemelmans on how he created Madeline, and working sketches of Madeline, as well as photos of the Bemelmans family. This landmark volume will be treasured by the entire family. (from the online description)

Review: I know Madeline is a classic childhood story, and that years of children have enjoyed these books. But, I don't like them. They seem trite and odd and nonsensical - but not in a whimsical childlike way but in a author-on-drugs sort of way. Even the bright and colorful illustration didn't help! The first book was not too bad, but they went downhill fast. Boring, weird, and strange - not my cup of tea. I'm sure others will continue to enjoy these stories, but as for me - I don't think I'll introduce them to my future kids less I be forced into reading them repeatedly.

Bookmarks: 5 of 10

Awards: Caldecott Honor Book (Madeline) /  Caldecott Medal (Madeline's Rescue)

ISBN: 0-670-85187-6
Date Finished: 8-11-2015
Pages: 316

No comments:

Post a Comment