Sunday, January 1, 2017

Ramble: 2016 Wrap-Up and Progress on Goals

 My Goals for 2016 were a bit audacious. A sum-up is as Follows:

Total Read Goal: 130

Mini-Challenges:

Christan Books: 50+
Evolution: 4+ books
Series: 5+ with 3/5 being Science Fiction or Fantasy

How Did I Do?

Total Read: 152

Mini-Challenges: 

Christian Books: 26/50

This is slightly more than two a month, which turns out to be an excellent pace. Fifty was simply too many to read and expect to be able to absorb the idea and admonitions. I read Christian memiors, books on prayer, discipleship, apologetics, and general Christian self-help.

Evolution: Fail

I didn't read a single one.

Series: 5/5

I read five series, for a total of fourteen books, all of which were science fiction or fantasy.

Alien Affairs Book Series (2) by Katherine Allred
The Damned Trilogy (3) by Alan Dean Foster
Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies Series (3) by Seth Grahame-Smith / Steve Hockensmith
Lord of the Rings (3) by J. R. R. Tolkein
Cadre One Series (3) by Robert O'Riordan

Overall, I'm disappointed with my reading year. I read mostly mediocre books, only a a dozen or so 8-rated, and only four 9-rated. Those are as follows:

Tozer on the Almighty God: 365 Days of Devotions by A. W. Tozer
Hiroshima: A Novella by Laurence Yep
Fifteen Lanes by S. L. Laidlaw
The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard

I did read three new authors, thanks to Red Star Reviews. It was fun participating in those hosted readings and I plan to continue participating as they come along. 

My goals for 2017 involve changing my rating system, lowering my total read goal, and being mindful about what books I chose. But more on that in my next post. For 2016, I may have been not as mindful of my choices, but I still read extensively and widely, and that is important to me. 









No comments:

Post a Comment