Monday, January 2, 2017

Ramble: Goals for 2017

Being a goal-orientated person of mostly sound mind, I set forth for your consideration my 2017 Reading Goals:

Total Read Goal: 100  

While I read 140-150 books the last two years, I am dissatisfied with the quality. Far too many were picture or elementary level books. This year, I want to read books with more meat and grit and higher thinking. By reducing my goal by 1/3, I think I can accomplish this. Quality over quantity.  

Mini-Challenges:

Christian: 20+

More realistic than 2016, but the reasons are the same. Collecting the books without reading them does me no good. 

Evolution: 2+

I need to get reading these!

Writing: 2+

As a writer, I need to study my craft. Reading the advice of other writers is one way.

Science Fiction/Fantasy: 20+

 The goal is two-fold:

1) to read series that I have collected to completion
2) to read a stand-alone novels by authors I haven't read before. 

 - Series (Pick 3): 
     Vatta’s War by Elizabeth Moon (5)
     Sarantha Jax by Ann Aquirre (6)
     The Regiment by John Dalmas (4)
     In the Time of the Sixth Sun by Thomas Harlan (3)
     Confederation Series by Tanya Huff (7)
     Honor Harrington Series by David Weber (11+)
     The Uglies by Scott Westerfield (4)
     The Maze Runner Series by James Dashner (4)
     Song in the Silence Series by Elizabeth Kerner (3)

 - Authors (Pick 5) 
     Larry Niven
     David Brin
     Ray Bradbury
     Chris Bunch
     F. M. Busby
     Jack McDevitt
     Andre Norton
     Frederick Pohl
     H. G. Wells
     George Dickson

Classics: 5+

These must be books tagged as classic in my LibraryThing Catalog. In particular, I would like to a book by Honore de Balzac, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, and a play by Shakespeare. 
     Other Possibilities include:
      Stephen Crane
      Dante's Divine Comendy
      Thoughts and Minor Works by Blaise Pascal
      Elizabeth Goudge
      Dashell Hammett
      Lady Mursaki
      Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
      John Steinbeck
      H. G. Wells

General Fiction: 5+


This must be books tagged as such in my LibraryThing Catalog. In particular, I want to read Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts, and at least two should be written by non-western authors .

Non-Fiction: 5+

Topic does not matter. Does not count for the Evolution reading. In particular, I want to read non-western philosophy, books on medicine and science, and at least two world history books. I suspect I will fulfill this in July when I do my annual American Revolution Reading. 

Young Adult / Newbery Winner: 5+:

I have stacks of these books that I need to read. I collect Newbery and have fallen behind on reading them 

This is a ridged reading list compared with previous years. But it is part of the overall goal to be more mindful about what I read. And, I like lists. 

To the Books!

No comments:

Post a Comment