Thursday, May 25, 2017

Review: Witchblade, Volume One: The Witch Hunt by Ron Marz and Mike Choi (L)

Synopsis: Sara Pezzini awakens from a coma and begins anew with a new partner, new precinct, and a new understanding of the Witchblade.

Review: I've been a fan of Witchblade since I first watched the TV show, and the anime is my most favorite of all time. But this is the first of the comic books I've been able to get my hands on.
Told with strong lines and dark colors, this has the perfect feel for the story. As a wielder of the Witchblade, Sara Pezzini is sarcastic, bold, and brave. In particular, I was thankful she didn’t “whine” about having the blade, but neither did she glory in it. She accepted it as part of her life and used it as she needed to, to save the world. The relationship between her and her partners had a distinct tone of equality. I was particular glad no Love Triangle developed, but it remained a professional relationship through the entire story. Fast paced, with actions, demons, and smart-ass quips, this was a fun read. I most certainly plan on reading more.

If you are interested in a thought discourse on the assumed misogyny in Witchblade, I recommend this article by Dr. Brad Hawley, of Emory University.

Bookmarks: 4 of 5

Awards: None

ISBN: 978-1-58240-906-1
Year Published: 2008
Date Finished: 5-17-2017
Pages: 198

No comments:

Post a Comment