Monday, March 5, 2012

Review: On the Hunt by Gena Showalter, Shannon K. Butcher, Jessica Andersen, Deidre Knight

Synopsis: A collection of four short stories by four popular romance novelists.

Ever Night by Gena Showalter
The Collector by Shannon L. Butcher
Crystal Skull by Jessica Andersen
Red Angel by Deirdre Knight

Review: This is an excellent collection if you are tired of romances containing either werewolves or vampires. Only one story has a vampire and she isn't the focus, thankfully.
Showalters' was my least favorite, despite having a fairy tale feel. I never connected with the characters, the ending was too neat and the hero was boring.
Butcher's was my favorite. Her story in set in the larger world explored in her Sentinel War series. I bought the first book in that series after reading this story. The world is intriguing, the characters well-rounded and the concept to the tree tatoo interesting.
Andersen's was interesting, being that she tired her's into the Mayan myth of doomsday in 2012. The author knows her mythology, which makes for intereating reading. The concept is interesting as well, the idea there are people raised to fight against the end of the world. I'm not sure I want to read more, but I'm not adverse to the idea either.
Knight's was interesting, but the end sex scene seemed gratuitous. The secondary characters were interesting and her concept of guardin angels was intriging.

In the end, I recommend this collection is you have never read any of these authors. It's a nice way to tell which author you enjoy and wish to read more off - but then, this is why I read anthologies.
Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

Date Finished: 2-15-2012
Pages: 438

No comments:

Post a Comment