Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: Tangerine by Edward Bloor

Synopsis: Paul Fisher's older brother Erik is a high school football star, but to Paul he's no hero. Paul's own game is soccer, which he plays even though he has to wear thick glassess because of a mysterious eye injury. When the Fishers move to Tangerine, Florida, Paul tries to make sense of things. Like why people live in place where undergraound fire burn for years, a sinklhole swalloes his school, and lightning strikes the same practice field everyday. Why he fits into the toughest group around, which just happens to be his new soccer team. And most of all, why no one but he can see the terrifying truth about Erik. (from the back of the book)

Review: Being from Florida, this book holds a special place. The smell of the citrus groves, the smoke in the air, the buzzing of mysquitous, the storms, lightning, the heat - all are strong memories to me. And since my brother played soccer, I knew Bloor's description of the character's games were written well.
Overall the characters, main and secondary, were well-written, complex, flawed, and real. The story was well-told, believalbe and intrigugin. It pulled me in, emotionally, and I felt what the characters felt.

I highly recommend this book.

Note: I was able to meet the author as a writing conference. He taught at a high school near where I grew up. He was kind enough to sign my copy!

Bookmarks: 8 of 10

Awards: None

Date Finished: 2-23-2012
Pages: 294

No comments:

Post a Comment