Monday, February 10, 2014

Ramble: Pick Me!

How do you pick the next book you are going to read? I ask because I've come across a new method that intrigues me.

I learned it from EmScape on LibraryThing. The idea is you sort the books you haven't read alphabetically, by title. Then, you read the first one, and then the second and so on and so forth.

If I were to chose this route, here are the next ten books I would read:

100 Malicious Little Mysteries ed. by Martin H. Greenberg
100 Masterpieces in Colour ed by Christopher Wood
100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories ed. by Martin H. Greenberg
100% Pure Florida Fiction ed. by Susan Hubbard
13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
2001 A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke
2061: Odyssey Three by Arthur C. Clarke
30 Days Muslim Prayer Focus: An Annual "10/40 Window" Project pub. By World Christian News & Books
You can see a pattern, right? Or lack there of? This method holds a strong appeal to me. I am not certain why. Perhaps because it mirror two of my three favorite methods:

1. The Random Number Generator Method: It only worked when my book were logged into an excel program. I would assign each book a number then use an online number generator to pick 5 books. I had to choose one of them to read.

2. Picking 3-5 books, assigning numbers, then posting the numbers on facebook and letting my assorted friends and acquaintances vote by number. Whichever number gets the most votes, that's the book I read, with the remainder in descending order of number of vote.

I've been diligent about sticking to my Rule of Three. But I wonder - is there a way to integrate EmScape's system into my Rule of Three?

What about you? What method do you use for picking your next read?

No comments:

Post a Comment