Friday, February 14, 2014

Review: The Dreaming Place by Charles de Lint

Synopsis: A young woman locked in rage yet seeking magic, Ash is drawn into a wondrous Otherworld of totems and dryads, living tarots and mystic charms. At the same time, Ash's cousin Nina is stalked by an Otherworld demon-a manitou who can force her mind and soul into the bodies of beasts. Ash must find the strength to overcome her own anger, learn the full power of magic, and save Nina before she becomes the manitou's weapon, turning the faerie realm into an arctic wasteland. (from the back of the book)

Review: I've heard many things about Charles de Lint, but this was the first of his books I've read. I think I started with the wrong one. It's a YA novel, and it's cultural reference date it (Deb Gibbson, Sassy, Walkman) and make it hard to read. The story itself is decent, but nothing to recommend itself. The characters have little depth, but do manage to stay away from sterotypes (except for the whole Native America magic thing). In the end. I wouldn't recommend this book, but I won't dissuade someone from reading it either. And I intend to seek out more Charles de Lint. One book can't tell me everything about an author.

Bookmarks: 6 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 0-14-230218-x
Date Finished: 2-12-2014
Pages: 134

No comments:

Post a Comment