Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Review: Hana-Kimi, Volume I by Hisaya Nakajo

Synopsis: Mizuki Ashiya, a Japanese girl living in the United States, watches a program on TV featuring a high jumper named Izumi Sano. She was amazed by his performance and begins following his athletic career. Years later, she does research on him and discovers that he is currently attending Osaka High School. The school is unfortunately an all-boys school and Mizuki convinces her parents to send her to Japan by herself. Oblivious to the fact that their daughter is going to attend a boys school, her parents let her go. To enter the school, she cuts off her long hair, disguises herself as a male, and tries her best to give hope to Sano after hearing that he no longer does the high jump anymore. As she settles in, an accident reveals her identity to Hokuto Umeda, the school doctor, and Izumi Sano. Izumi hides his knowledge of Mizuki's gender and tries to help her keep her secret, though it sure is not easy as many situations land Mizuki in compromising positions that will reveal her true gender. (from the Wikipedia Plot Description)

Review: This is a Manga, my first attempt at reading it, actually. This story was recommended to me by a friend, after I expressed how much I enjoyed the anime Ouran High School Host Club (also a recommendation of hers). Hana-Kimi has a similar premise. It took me a while to get the hang of reading from right to left. I got lost a few times. The story was engaging, but not like Ouran. The same friend told me about a Korean Drama based on the story, and I checked it out. It was hilarious and so cheesy. I might read more of these, but I prefer Ouran. I'm going to check out more Manga, of course, as I enjoyed the reading experience.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 978-1-59116-329-9
Date Finished: 11-22-2015
Pages: 178

No comments:

Post a Comment