Sunday, August 14, 2011

Review: The Great Liners by Melvin Maddocks

Synopsis: This is a brief history of the great passenger liners that crossed the Atlantic in the early part of the 20th Century. Starting with the first trans-Atlantic crossing by a steamship and ending with the ships during WWII (The book was published in 1978) - it covers the great ships, the tragedies, the money and science and opulence. It contains numerous color and black-and-white photos.

Review: Having gone on my first cruise this year, I have developed an interest in cruise ships. When I saw this, I was immediately interested. I enjoyed it immensely. The pictures were amazing, the stories well written and accessible and I thought the flow and information were excellent. My only sorrow is that since I purchased this at a library cast-off book sale, the book had several stamps in it and it's missing the first 10 pages - which I believe contained pictures of the advertising posters used to draw people to the ships. This is disappointing. Still, the book was enjoyable and I recommend to anyone interested in this subject.

Bookmarks: 7 of 10

Awards: None

Date Finished: 8-13-2011
Pages: 175

No comments:

Post a Comment