Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Holiness by Stuart and Jill Briscoe

Synopsis: If you think about life in the same way Stuart Briscoe did when he was very young - and most of us, if we are perfectly honest, do - Being Happy will rate first, Being Healthy second, and Being Holy will rate a poor third. So, must you give up any hope of happiness if you decide to give yourself wholeheartedly to God?
In this engaging book by Stuart and Jill Briscoe, you will discover that there is no conflict with being thoroughly happy truly healthy and practically holy, And you will also learn what God i asking of you when He says, "Be holy, because I am holy." (From the back of the book)

Review: I picked up this book at a book sale on a whim. The title was interesting - the tagline under the title reading " In a culture where personal rights are considered sacred can we find satisfaction as "Living Sacrifices" to God?".
The book itself was theologically sound, as far as I could tell, and Briscoe made some good points about how holiness is connect to happiness. But I found his writing dull, even with the inclusion of stories, and his points lack any real punch.
In the end, this is a sound book but not as hard-hitting as I prefer. I think, however, that this book would mean something to someone and therefore, I wouldn't discount it. It just wasn't for me.

Bookmarks: 6 of 10

Awards: None

Date Finished: 8-22-2011
Pages: 191

No comments:

Post a Comment