Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Review: Nine Stories by J. D. Salinger

Synopsis: This is a collection of nine short stories. They are as follows:
A Perfect Day for Bananafish; Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut; Just Before the War with the Eskimos; The Laughing Man; Down at the Dinghy; For Esme -- With Love and Squalor; Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes; De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period; Teddy.

Review: I admit I'm not sure what to make of this collection. Salinger is most famous for his book Catcher in the Rye (which I did not enjoy). These stories have a similar flavor - odd, filled with bent and mis-shaped humans, strange things happening in normal spaces and things that I don't understand. I can identify his work as genius - but I don't get it. I've spoken of this occurrence before, when I read Welty and Hemingway - I think I shall call this the Welty Syndrome, after my first experience with it.

Bookmarks: 6 of 10

Awards: None

Date Finished: 8-26-2011
Pages: 320

No comments:

Post a Comment