Monday, March 18, 2013

Review: Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater

Synopsis: It was hard enough for Mr. Popper to support himsef, Mrs. Popper, Bill and Janie Popper. The addition of twelve penguins to the family made it impossible to make both ends meet. Then Mr. Popper had a splendid idea - the talented penguins would be a sensation on the stage. And so they were...

Review: I picked this up because it's a Newbery. I read it because a dear friend said it was her favorite book at a child. It is the first Newbery I've read that didn't strike my heart. It's delightful and whimsically and silly - perfect for young children. But I'm still puzzling why it's a Newbery.

Bookmarks: 6 of 10

Awards: Newbery Honor Book, 1939; Young Reader's Choice Award, 1940

Date Finished: 3-7-2013
Pages: 139

No comments:

Post a Comment