Friday, November 15, 2013

Review: Grimm Fairy Tales, Volume 1-7 by Zenoscope Entertainment

Synopsis: This is the first 7 issues of Zenoscope's Grimm Fairy Tale collection. Centered around a woman names Sela, each issue tells a fairy tale, but not how you remembered. Sela has the power to make anyone feel as if they are in the fairy tale, often one that relates to there life. Sela uses her power to help set people on the path of truth and goodness. But she often contends with Belinda, a woman of the same power who uses her to inflict harm and misery.

Review: I picked this up from our local comic book shop, because I'm a sucker for anything fairy tale related. This was not what I expected it to be, but so much better! Dark, twisted, eerie, yet with shards of truth, goodness and lightness - these are exquisite tales. I enjoy the thread of the battle between Sela and Belinda (and who they represent) that ties all the stories together. I like how some tales end horribly, badly, wrongly, that people don't always learn their lesson and sometimes, they chose the wrong path. I love the color, design and feels of the drawings - elegant, gorgeous, but with a  hint of madness. These are not happy stories. They are not children's tale. They are not for the faint of heart, the sentimental, the squeamish. They are, however, wonderful stories. I am quite rabid to get my hands on Volume 8-14.

Bookmarks: 8 of 10

Awards: None

ISBN: 978-0-9786874-0-3
Date Finished: 11-14-2013
Pages: 150 per Graphic Novel

No comments:

Post a Comment