Sunday, November 3, 2013

Review: Starbridge by A.C. Crispin (Starbridge, Book 1)

Synopsis: We are not alone. Across the galaxy, there are eleven known intelligent races. Mankind is the twelfth. We are about to meet our neighbors. (from the back of the book)

Review: This book, along with four sequels, was among the Sci-Fi book horde I purchased a month or so ago. It look mildly interesting and I had the set (or so I thought), so I kept it, not really intending to read it anytime soon. I mean, look at the cover! So cheesy!
But then, Jim C. Hines, a favorite author, mentioned he was reading it to his son. Since I admire Hines' work so greatly, I reassessed my initial appraisal of the series. After this first book, I see what Hines is speaking about (not that I doubted him).
I enjoyed this book greatly! The beginning is a bit slow and the story doesn't pick up pace until things go wrong. A story about humanities First Contact, this could easily shift into a parade of cliches. But it doesn't. It felt truthful, as if things might actually happen this way. I felt Mahree was a bit young, but her character grew up in the story and I like how Crispin handled that. In the end, this is a fabulous sci-fi tale, with all the charm of an old classic and all the wit and twists of a good story. I highly recommend if you want a solid sci-fi tale!


Bookmarks: 7.5 of 10

Awards: Non

ISBN: 0-441-78329-5
Date Finished: 10-29-2013
Pages: 309

No comments:

Post a Comment